skip to main content

35 Organizations Lead the World in Creating Cultures of Engagement

by Ed O'Boyle and Jim Harter

Truly engaged workplaces are rare. Gallup research shows that worldwide, just 13% of employees are engaged in their jobs -- they are involved in, enthusiastic about and committed to their work, coworkers and workplace. The remaining 87% of employees are either not engaged or indifferent -- or even worse, are actively disengaged and potentially hostile -- to their organizations.

But there are companies that buck this trend and are winning in the marketplace by committing to an employee-focused strategy. Within these organizations, employees are emotionally invested in and focused on creating value for their organizations every day. These companies set the global standard for a great workplace.

Gallup is pleased to honor 35 leading organizations as the recipients of our annual Gallup Great Workplace Award. These organizations average 14 engaged employees for every one actively disengaged employee, which is more than seven times the rate in the U.S. and more than 21 times the rate for workforces globally.

The Gallup Great Workplace Award, now in its 10th year, recognizes organizations that achieve performance excellence through cultures of engagement. Gallup has continued to create high-standard criteria to apply for the award, ensuring that winning organizations continue to represent some of the world's best workplaces. The minimum criteria for application include:

  • administering an employee engagement survey to at least 50 employees with a census of employees invited to participate
  • a high qualifying response rate
  • receiving a qualifying score on Gallup's Q12 employee engagement assessment

Organizations that meet the minimum criteria are then invited to apply for the award by submitting detailed evidence of their commitment to and advancement of employee-centric performance excellence. A panel of Gallup judges reviews and scores all submissions.

Leaders of the winning organizations understand that engaging employees drives real business outcomes, and they have mastered strategies and tactics to create cultures of engagement. Each award recipient has linked engagement performance to business outcomes and has integrated engagement in four key areas: strategy and leadership, accountability and performance, communication and knowledge management, and development and ongoing learning.

These organizations set a high standard for what the world's employees can achieve, regardless of the industry in which they operate. The winners for this year are headquartered in a wide range of countries, including Canada, China, India, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States.

It is our pleasure to share this year's list of our 2016 Gallup Great Workplace Award winners:

ABC Supply Co., Inc.

Mary Lanning Healthcare

Adventist Health System

Mashreq

Alliant Credit Union

Nationwide Insurance

Assurity Life Insurance Company

NFU Mutual

Bon Secours Health System

Paradies Lagardere

Charles Schwab

PNC Bank

China Merchants Property Development (CMPD)

PPR Talent Management Group

Commonwealth Health Corporation (CHC)

Regions Bank

DTE Energy

Self Regional Healthcare

Emirates Integrated Telecommunications Company - du

Stryker

Greater Omaha Chamber

Tech Mahindra Business Services

Health Catalyst

United Way for Southeastern Michigan

Hendrick Health System

USAA

Hyatt Hotels Corporation

Wells Fargo

Indus Towers Limited

Wesco Turf, Inc.

Intermountain Healthcare

Winegardner & Hammons Hotel Group

Kingfisher

WSFS Bank

Mars, Incorporated

Every business leader worldwide has a responsibility to raise the bar and truly embrace strategies for engagement, as the leaders and organizations recognized this year have done. This step is vital for companies, communities and countries to not only improve business outcomes, but also achieve sustainable growth.

The Gallup Great Workplace Award winners will be honored at the 2016 Gallup Summit on May 10-12, 2016, in Omaha, Nebraska. This annual event, which is open to all organizations, examines the crucial issues affecting the global workplace. The 2016 summit will focus on how millennials are changing the workplace and what organizations need to do to attract, engage, retain and develop them.

Gallup


Gallup http://www.gallup.com/opinion/gallup/190604/organizations-lead-world-creating-cultures-engagement.aspx
Gallup World Headquarters, 901 F Street, Washington, D.C., 20001, U.S.A
+1 202.715.3030